[pianotech] Hybrid pinblocks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 17 08:19:07 MST 2010

Gene Nelson wrote:
> Hello,
> I am very curious about hybrid pinblocks and those that have made and
> used them.
> What materials were used, how did you decide on the materails and their
> proportions.

When I first thought of trying this, I experimented with
different combinations of block and cap to find a feel I
liked. I settled on a 9mm cap with a Schaff or Pianotek
multilam maple block.

> What was the intended purpose and did you achieve the desired result?

The intended purpose was to get a block that was as rugged as
Delignit, that tuned like a low density 5 ply block. It worked
better than I'd ever have dared hope. Even with a very tight
fit, pins move easily, predictably, and controllably - unlike
anything else I'd seen.

> Did you alter your drilling technique for the hybrid?

Nope. I've been double drilling for at least 25 years already.
I did find it surprising that a 6.8mm (0.2677") final drilling
pass left so tight a pin fit, when the multilam maple is
typically drilled much smaller.

> Overall, do you think the extra work was worth it?

Absolutely, or I'll sell you an assembled block, or just the
capping stock and you can assemble it yourself. I can mail you
a 2.5"x4" sample block to try for pin fit and feel for $10,
before you commit to more work or cash. I'll send you some
information. Meanwhile, look up "A Shop Made Pinblock" in the
January 2009 Journal for more detail.

> Do you use a bandsaw to fillet the different blocks and what size is it
> - virticle capacity for cutting.

I did at first. Now I buy it in 9mm sheets, and can supply
double block size, 19" wide so two D blocks can come out of
the same piece.
Ron N