[pianotech] Hybrid pinblocks

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 17 07:19:38 MST 2010

> What materials were used, how did you decide on the materails and
> their proportions.

8 mm Delignit atop Pianotek Multilam (I've also used my shop-built
quarter-sawn 4-ply pinblock as the base). Proportions were based on
compromize after experimentation on how much Delignit is enough to
prevent the top of the block from enlarging over time (guesstimate)
and how much can I put there and not have it tune like a Delignit
block (I don't like the way they tune and the narrow margin of error
for drilling).

> What was the intended purpose and did you achieve the desired result?

To minimize hole enlargement at the top of the block over time. I'm
quite sure it will help - but I've only been making them for a couple
years - ask me again in 50 years! I've pounded pins in test pieces and
applied heavy pressure back and forth from the sides and I can start
to enlarge a maple-only block, but not the Delignit-capped blocks. So
I think it is a winner. At 8 mm thick on the cap, it still tunes like
a maple block.

> Did you alter your drilling technique for the hybrid?

Yes. I always test drill the block and test torque with the pins I
will be using. I use the Nossaman two-step drilling technique.

> Overall, do you think the extra work was worth it?

Absatively.

> Do you use a bandsaw to fillet the different blocks and what size is
> it - virticle capacity for cutting.

Yes. Laguna LT16HD. Don't know the vertical capacity - lots of room
for a single pinblock, but can't run a double through it. Plenty of
folks resaw Delignit with lesser machines.

> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Your welcome!

Terry Farrell