[pianotech] Clunker vs Electronic Keyboards

david at piano.plus.com david at piano.plus.com
Wed Feb 17 03:21:14 MST 2010

I agree with the comments of David Love and Joseph Garrett.

I often say to customers that electronic keyboards definitely have their
place, but they are no good for learning to play piano.

They are good if you are already a competent pianist.  They can be useful
for applications like choir practice rooms, or as part of an ensemble
which plays in different venues.

The object in those situations is much less about the sheer physical
pleasure of playing the piano as such, and more about contributing the
right sounds to a band or a choir.

For the pleasure of playing, it's my feeling that there is something
missing about the electronic keyboards, even the best of them.  A physical
feedback loop, as it were.  The sounds coming out of them can be very
nice, and may be just what is needed for the choir practice etc, but they
do not bring pleasure to the player in the way that a decent piano does.

Best regards,

David Boyce