[pianotech] Steinway agraffe to strike line dimensions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 16:44:44 MST 2010

At 18:14 -0500 16/2/10, Ed Foote wrote:

>JD asks:
>>>How do you arrive at that figure, Ed? The speaking length of A-1
>>>on the model C is roughly 1624 mm. 1/8 of that is 203 mm; 1/9 is
>>>180 mm. Not having a C to hand, I have no way of giving an
>>>authoritative answer to the question but 152 mm seems unlikely.Ê
>
>If you measure from the front of the front rail to a point 3.5 mm
>into the speaking length of note A-85 and then measure that distance
>at a right angle from the rail to a point on string A-1, that should
>touch the strike line, I think. <<
>
>I arrived at the figure from measuring from the inside face of the
>agraffe to the strike point on the string that the hammer contacted.
>On note # 1 of an 1892 model A.

Ah.  But the model A has a speaking length of 1415 mm so why should
the strike point on that have any relevance to the Model C?  If your
figure is the exact strike point that Theodore built into the design
and if he used the same principles in designing the C then the strike
point on the C would be 174mm, but I think the actual figure arrived
at by my method above would be longer.

JD