[pianotech] Steinway agraffe to strike line dimensions

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 16:09:21 MST 2010

At 17:40 -0500 16/2/10, Ed Foote wrote:

>>Does anyone have agraffe to strike dimensions for note #1 on a
>>Steinway C and an 85 note A (both around 1890)?
>

>The A should be close to 152 mm. But these things vary on handbuilt pianos.

How do you arrive at that figure, Ed?  The speaking length of A-1 on
the model C is roughly 1624 mm.  1/8 of that is 203 mm; 1/9 is 180
mm.  Not having a C to hand, I have no way of giving an authoritative
answer to the question but 152 mm seems unlikely.

If you measure from the front of the front rail to a point 3.5 mm
into the speaking length of note A-85 and then measure that distance
at a right angle from the rail to a point on string A-1, that should
touch the strike line, I think.

JD