[pianotech] wing and sons upright

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Tue Feb 16 12:53:25 MST 2010

Hi David,

The one that I did perhaps 8 hours of work on was a very well built instrument, with a heavy back structure and substantial plate.  I did no scale analysis, but it tuned really well and projected excellently, with surprising sustain for its age.  Lots of attention to detail in its construction, and a beautiful case.  Someone else had restrung the bass, and the instrument sounded just great for its age.  One of the few century-old unrebuilt pianos that I would be happy to give a concert on.

The rinky-tink attachment is a pivoting rail that dangles little things that look like old-fashioned buttons against the strings.  The buttons will tend to fall off (the thread breaks) and lodge themselves everywhere, so plan to do a through cleaning, especially near the bottom between the plate and board, as they are a nasty buzz waiting to happen.

The other pedals were more conventional, but I don't remember their order or much else about the trapwork (other than the presence of five pedals, of course).

Enjoy,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh