[pianotech] spoons or wippens was Re: help needed with Hamilton

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Feb 16 11:06:12 MST 2010

Greetings,

       If theres rust back at the damper spring area, perhaps spoons have rust and are sluggsh/snagging on the damper lever. Could explain why action is heavy too.

Julia Gottshall

As I said previously, I suspect that this might be a problem.

The rust we have here in Hawaii comes more from the salt air than it does from high humidity. Most pedals are corroded, and just polishing them with Brasso does nothing. The only way to get the corrosion off is to sand it off with sandpaper.

So polishing the spoons will not be possible. I will either have to replace them, or replace the whole wippen.

I've never replaced a set of spoons. Would it be "easier" to do that, or replace the whole wippen?

Wim

       If theres rust back at the damper spring area, perhaps spoons have rust and are sluggsh/snagging on the damper lever. Could explain why action is heavy too.

Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA