[pianotech] help needed with Hamilton

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 15 21:17:09 MST 2010

Dampers need: appropriately soft felt; hitting the string nodes at the right spot (longer felts help hit more nodes); springs to make it touch the string; enough mass to help the felt make the string stop moving (longer felts help some there as well). I have a 20's studio in my living room I am about to add some mass to. It was used as a demo for a chapter meeting some time ago. Del Fandrich was talking about this very topic, and we took a fishing lead sinker which has a hole through it, split it open and pinched it onto the wire at the top of the lever. Bam! No more ring through on that note. This piano is only ringing through on the single string notes, and I've been meaning to finish it off for some time now. I've had to do the same procedure on a couple of Chickering Quartergrands with good success.

I would certainly try the other suggestions made. Mass may help.

David Stocker, RPT
Tumwater, WA