[pianotech] help needed with Hamilton

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 18:54:53 MST 2010

Does it feel a lot different when you play with the damper pedal engaged?
What about the hammer return springs?  What about excess friction from
corrosion or parts swelling, you are in Hawaii after all.  Might just be
weighed off heavy too, have poor leverage or both.  I think you have to
tread cautiously when looking to lighten the action by taking tension off
the damper springs.  I've done it but only on pianos where that was clearly
the problem-in one case it was actually causing the hammers to bobble.  It
is a Hamilton.   If it's regulated and tuned I'd call that a success.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com