[pianotech] Advice about intermittent note on Yamaha grand

David Weiss davidweiss at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 15 18:02:43 MST 2010

Why? I mean it is acoustic, is it not? Like acoustic guitar and
electric guitar - Yamaha C1 and Yamaha CP-80. Digital piano? Seems
pretty digital to me.

Terry Farrell

By definition a piano is acoustic, and can only be acoustic, therefore
"acoustic piano" is redundant.  Conversely, the term "digital piano" is an
oxymoron.

"Acoustic and digital piano" are terms created by corporate marketing
departments in their quest to cloud the distinction between pianos and
electric keyboard instruments.  Yamaha publicly stated this as one of their
goals about 20 years ago.   It's easier to sell an electric keyboard than it
is a piano, especially if you can make the public believe they are musically
equivalent.  Additionally with two categories of options, acoustic and
digital, spanning a wide price range, fewer people leave the piano store
empty handed.

David Weiss