[pianotech] Another Cruise Ship Piano Tuning Question

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 15 05:24:08 MST 2010

Depends upon what you call "Free".  They will barter for techs to go on
board for specialty situations and will barter a free trip for 2 , but
you'll be working to pay for the trip.  Since  911, the number of those
situations have dropped dramatically as the cruise ship's have altered their
needs.
The last one I did was on the famed QE2 .They flew my wife and I over to
London, then  we sailed from South Hampton, England to New York and did the
Trans-Atlantic crossing.
All black tie affair and everyone was in tuxes in evening gowns for all
events. This was their  yearly "Piano Cruise" in which big time concert
artists  were contracted to  do numerous piano recitals daily, with piano
masterclasses and lectures in between all concerts.
I was on call 1 hr. prior to each event to get that piano ready then was
allowed to do as I pleased until the next event. Lots of down-time,
incredible good food all day long, but too much cigarette smoke for my
tastes. Seemed like everyone smoked constantly and the whole ship smelled of
smoke.
Seas were a calm 25 ft high with a 1 day of 40 ft seas. Most of the patrons
were loaded up with sea sickness shots and plenty of regurgitation, making
for a memorable trip. Seemed like everyone had spilled coffee stains on
their clothes by the end of the trip.
We figured that the trips were being booked at $18,000 for 2 ( for our
housing) for a  6 day crossing. All-in-all , a well-worth adventure and
would do it again in a heartbeat.
I should note that the first quarters they gave us were horrible. 2 double
beds on the lower level at the tail end of the ship ( where the affects of
motion are felt most). I complained and they said we could  upgrade our
quarter for $2500 on the 2nd floor ( with a queen bed). After complaining
and trying to figure out a better plan, they agreed to give us the upgrade
BUT, I would have to work on all of the pianos on the ship instead of the 3
that I was originally assigned to.
I would work from 5AM -8AM daily, then go to breakfast with my wife, play
Trivial Pursuit at 9:30, then nap, then tune at 11am, then lunch, then nap,
then dancing lessons, then nap, then tune at 4PM, then dinner, then some
other activity, then tune again at 7PM, then nap to get rested for the
midnight buffet with all the king crabs legs one could eat. Pretty pathetic
on my part. But hey....
Days were 25 hrs long as the clocks were turned backwards 1 hr each night.
Six days of 1 hr r time zone changes  has a great affect on one's system.
Arrived in NYC with 15 new pounds that I thoroughly enjoyed packing on and
stories galore, making this a memorable experience.
Tom Servinsky