[pianotech] things in pianos

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 14 16:26:03 MST 2010

Yahtzee score pads? Now you're talking....

You mean you've never fished out any of those little green army men?

I've told this story before, but what the heck, I'm getting older, I'll go ahead and repeat myself. :-)

I went to tune the lady's grand piano, and when I got there, I got the feeling that she wasn't too enthused about me. Maybe it was my being young and female--or maybe it was that I charged more that nice, old Mr. Whoozits, who had tuned her piano for years. She left me to my work. I was working away and got to the treble section. I could hear a rattly clunk. I removed the fallboard and a set of car keys was sitting on the piano keys. I called to the owner, asking her if she was missing a set of car keys. She looked incredulous--17 years prior they had bought a new car. The toddler was playing with the car keys and suddenly nobody new where the keys were. They looked everywhere, even took apart duct work, but never could find the keys. All those years Mr. Whoozits either didn't hear the clunk, or never bothered to investigate. heh, heh, heh...

The worst I have had to remove, besides barf, was (used) chewing tobacco (dorm piano).

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois