[pianotech] things in pianos

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 14 15:58:00 MST 2010

Maybe he got an "ash" whipping.

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Sunday, February 14, 2010 5:49 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Re: [pianotech] things in pianos

Subject: [pianotech] things in pianos

Hi Conrad,
 The cigarette butts ashes and church program were not in the same piano
were they?  lol
Marshall

No, they weren't.  One cigarette ash incident was when I went on a warranty
call about a bad finish - "blemishes".

It was an oriental grand with a white polyester finish.  There were black
blemishes on the music shelf in a strange pattern. Absolutely smooth
surface.  As I slid the shelf out of the piano to get a better look, I
immediately saw what was most likely the reason.  There, sitting on the
bridge in the top section was a nice, big cigar ash.  The blemishes made a
lot of sense if you imagined a full, round ashtray in the middle of them.

I called in the owner to see what I'd found, saying that I doubted that the
damage would be covered under warranty.  When he saw the cigar ash, he
immediately started conjecturing what he would do to his son, who had thrown
a party over the previous weekend...

I never went back, so I don't know the fate of the son.

Conrad