[pianotech] History

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 14 14:16:46 MST 2010

When I first started out, as some of you know, I also worked for local
dealerships.  Peterson Pianos was one of them.  I was a learning tech back
then too so I was a piano mover and whatever else they wanted me to do.
Basically, a peon, sort of like now.  <G> We had to make many repo's over
the years.  Some Baldwin's some Yamaha's and some Universal Player Pianos
which none us liked anyway.  Not to mention they weighed a lot.  I do not
recall anyone having a cow over us coming to repo their piano although, the
owner, Jerry Peterson always came along with us.  Jerry was always kind
about it.  In these cases, he had always made prior arrangements with them
for the pickup.  Upon our arrival, we were always as pleasant as possible
which I think they respected in light of what was taking place in their
lives.  They were losing their 'baby.'

I recall some other instances too where Jerry could not make contact at all
with some people.  Either they would not answer their phones or, they would
hang up.  In those cases, we would load up the truck, drive right over there
knowing they were home, usually surprising them, knock on the door and then
show our legal document saying we had the right to remove the piano.  They
always let us in.  We would hook up and go as quickly as possible.  These
people were not always so nice and agreeable.  We always were though.

Jer