[pianotech] Advice about intermittent note on Yamaha grand

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 08:06:32 MST 2010

     I use the term "Baby Grand" almost every day as we rent them out to
various functions in the city. I like the word, and will continue to use
it.
     I sympathize with the fear of sharing our specialized knowledge with
someone who is not at least a part-time professional technician. It reminds
me of a chef I used to work with who wouldn't share his "secrets" with me,
because, presumably, I hadn't "deserved" it yet since I didn't apprentice
like he did for several years. Also, it reminds me of high level martial
arts or Yogic practices which cannot be taught until the student has
advanced appropriately.
     *However*, there is a big difference between learning how to make ghee
and fry some scallops, and entering the world of inner demons to progress on
your soul's journey. In the first case, there is more danger to the scallops
than to you :)
    With pianos, I take each situation at hand as a unique one, and act
accordingly. Sometimes, I freely diseminate information (hopefully not
misinformation), sometimes not. It depends on many factors. For example, I
will not teach someone how to tune if they are not seriously intending at
least a part-time profession of it. On the other hand, I love to describe
the theory behind inharmonicity to anyone who will listen.
    In the case of this list-serve, it may be wise to understand who we are
speaking to before making a strong judgement, especially a negative one. As
Gandalf says: "...Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
For even the very wise cannot see all ends."