[pianotech] Advice about intermittent note on Yamaha grand

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Sat Feb 13 17:01:12 MST 2010

Or, in just the last two weeks, I had a jack that was "off center" enough
that it was rubbing slightly on the repetition lever and was slow to return.
A trick to help that without repining (if the action parts are still "new")
is to:
1.)  remove the whippen from the piano;
2.) have a small block of wood with a sharp corner;
3.) since the action is out of the keybed, use that as a bench
4.) rest the part of the whippen that supports the jack on the edge of the
above mentioned block and on the opposite side from where it is rubbing.
5.) with another piece of heavier material resting on the top of the jack,
give it a slight tap with a small "hammer shaped object".
6.) If one tap doesn't correct your problem, give it another tap or two.

It worked twice for me in the last couple of weeks. If the above is not
clear, let me know and I'll try to take a picture of the operation.

Ken Gerler
kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net