[pianotech] Advice about intermittent note on Yamaha grand

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 13 13:24:02 MST 2010

I guess you're not a technician--yet?

But, since you mentioned that it's a Yamaha grand, the first thing I'd check for is key friction--front & balance rail bushings and balance hole. If a key is sluggish, it takes a while for it (and the rest of the action parts) to return fully--that's why the note plays once and doesn't repeat, but will play again later. Sluggish action centers can do the same thing. If the piano hasn't been regulated since it was new, it's time! If the piano is new, it's probably just a tight key--I've run into it a number of times on new Yamahas.

I'm not sure what to say about your observation of the jack height--could be that the parts weren't fully returned (because of friction)...or the repetition lever needs adjusting....or.....

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois