[pianotech] The buzz that comes and goes...

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Fri Feb 12 22:29:35 MST 2010

Bill,

Wim's idea to check for intermittent buzz, as a possible consequence of humidity changes, (based on your description of the times it does/doesn't buzz) sounds like good advice to me.

I once chased such a buzz for almost 6 months on a Baldwin SD-10 in a very old auditorium.  whenever the conditions were damp, no buzz.  When dry, buzz.  This could change hourly, even while I was working, so I never realized it for the longest while.  I kept thinking I finally had solved it--each time I finished tightening some new piece of hardware and the buzz went away.

Finally, finally I found it: the small, round, black knob off of the microphone that had been hovering over the strings for a recording.  The knob fell off, rolled under the plate and lodged in the darkest corner between the plate and soundboard, round black side out.  My light never did find it.  And I searched under the plate many times.

When the soundboard swelled, it lodged the knob between plate and board; when it dried out, the knob was free to vibrate on the board.

Happy Hunting!  Hope you solve it without too many trips far away!
Diane

Bill
With as cold as it has been, the heat is on constantly, and even more so during the night. I have a feeling the buzz is caused by something that contracts or expands when the heat comes on, like the heating vents.
Wim

Diane Hofstetter