[pianotech] Double Octave Stretch

Mark & Janine Davis pianofortetechnology at saol.com
Thu Feb 11 23:07:05 MST 2010

Hello David, Jason

Thank you for your responses.

David, I am a PTG associate and I do tune aurally and I have been studying
the PACE books and the exam source books as I would like to in the near
future take the PTG exams.  My battle is I have no one to mentor me.  I have
to read and apply what I read and work things out by trial and error, but I
am learning and enjoy being a tuner/technician.  I asked the question about
the double octave stretch mainly because I thought that there is an unspoken
amount of  stretch that tuners use in concert tunings in big halls and I
just wanted to find out if is so?  I am reading at the moment about, and
beginning to practice, the 6:3, 8:4, 10:5, 12:6 single octaves for the bass,
2:1, 4:2 single octaves for the middle range and then the 4:1 double octave
for the middle and treble and the 8:2 double octaves for the bass.

What I really enjoy about tuning the bass is ghost tuning.  It is very
helpful.  I need to work on my treble and high treble tuning to get good
consistent progressing 17ths etc. And yes, unisons and stability are
essential to tuning!!!

Jason, a very interesting find!  Thank you for your input too!

Thank you once again for your responses.

Take care, Mark