[pianotech] An alternative to cutting the balance rail punching; was best way to change touch on Yamaha grand

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 13:21:10 MST 2010

That's clever.  The question I would have is whether it's stable over time.
Does the increased pressure on the back of the punching eventually lead to
compression on that side until once again the key lays flat across the
entire punching (though I notice in this case you are using a relatively
thin BRP as I do?  Otherwise, that might not take that long.  With the cut
punching there is no front of the punching to come in contact with the
bottom of the key again regardless of the amount of compression.  Similarly,
with my suggestion the coving would be offset enough that such a change is
not likely to take place.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com