[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----whatever

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 10 13:03:48 MST 2010

erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:
> It is intriguing to see how near the center of the ribs the
> bridge lies.

You mean it was accidental? <G> I use the centering to help
establish the position and shape of the cutoff bar, which
means mine would have been a tad straighter, and closer to the
bridge than the one shown. Not significantly different, but some.

Just visually, without numbers: It's a decent looking rib set,
and I thought the piano sounded terrific, but I'd call it
definitely at the light end of RC&S, which I think is why the
hammer line deviation made a tonal difference. You have 16
ribs here, on a 7-1/2' piano. I put 18 ribs in a B, most of
them shorter than what I see in the photo. The ribs through
the killer octave in the photo are somewhat shorter than the
originals, but a fish would have stiffened that up some, and
the treble a bunch.

Beats fighting the original though, don't it?

FWIW,
Ron N