[pianotech] boring, (was Hammer strike line)

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Tue Feb 9 11:25:46 MST 2010

 I meant to add the obvious, that the hammer head demonstrates
significant bias as to its best orientation. Given that its largest
concentrations of tension and compression exist directly at the crown,
and that directly under the crown is a driving spike of wood, off-center
hammer strikes utilize the hammer less effectively than on-center. As Ed
points out, "energy is most efficiently transferred at 90 degrees", but
it is the axial orientation and construction of the hammer head itself
that contributes more or less to power rather than degrees on one side
or the other.

Said another way, if the hammer was mostly round, with a big round inner
molding, several degrees off center will not matter much. Given we have
a rather pointed hammer head with a sharp and slender molding,
off-center strikes by the same degree would cause a notable lack of
power.

 Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild

Member Society Manufacturing Engineers