[pianotech] [pianotech ]Board & tone styles was hammer strike line

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon Feb 8 20:44:26 MST 2010

 David
 I haven't looked at the rib scale for a while but believe it had 16 ribs with curved cut-off,fish, belly brace like railroad tie and a small cut-off bar and the two bridges were separated, removing the ring. These were not laminated ribs but tight grain solid ribs or rib crowned. It was bellied at 6%. The rib ends were more conventional style cut-outs not the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 thd arrangement of the pure laminated model Ron posted some time back. So if that's a hybrid so be it. Doesn't matter. many really liked that piano. Sweet yet visceral projection,enormous sustain.
  One thing for anyone to keep in mind to anyone listening to all the various experiences of any piano/board designer on the list or elsewhere is that it's important to factor in that each of us has a sound we are attempting to achieve. A different flavor, and it doesn't make one right or wrong but it does make it truly enjoyable to hear especially when great music is heard on them all.
  All the modifications are nice but the client has to sign onto that and pay for it. All that to say there are many factors to consider when doing this work and as David L pointed out in the choosing a hammer discussion ,there are even more in soundboard design or tone design. Wether a board is designed on a spreadsheet, by intuition and repition, or the seat your pants the end result is what speaks for itself.
  Dale