[pianotech] Tapping Bridge Pins?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 7 22:19:14 MST 2010

Floyd Gadd wrote:
> I read tonight on the CAUT list some strong cautions against tapping
> bridge pins.  Do these cautions apply to pianos like this, which were
> obviously built in a hurry?  I feel like I'm simply doing what should
> have been done before the piano left the factory.

Yes, it applies to everything. The friction between a string
and bridge pin is typically over 15lbs. That's what it takes
to slide a string on a bridge pin in any direction (relative
to tension and side bearing angle). Tapping bridge pins is
equivalent to seating strings with a 15lb force, which will
crush the bridge cap. There is absolutely no acoustic reason
for seating bridge pins, and every reason not to as an
avoidance of damaging the cap.
Ron N