[pianotech] Hammer strike line. Was-----Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sun Feb 7 17:42:14 MST 2010

In a message dated 2/7/2010 5:24:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

Look  at where the farthest deviation from a straight line is.
Gee, that looks  like the most universally problematic part of
Steinway, and other largely  panel supported crown, scales. How
can there possibly be tonal problems in  the killer octave?
Must be the plate casting.

As I periodically  repeat, I find this phenomenon to not be
obvious in low compression and  adequately supported RC&S
systems. I still check now and then, but  find the difference,
if I can detect any at all, to not be worth the  trouble to
deviate from the straight line on a new RC&S board. On an
original board, it's likely obvious enough to be worth the
trouble.

I think it's primarily the soundboard.
I would posit that it's factory work, whatever the soundboard panel
structure. Efficient factory forefinishing has to presume much too consistent a
belly structure. Thoughtful deviations from a straight line require time and
care. I don't think it's primarily the soundboard.

Paul