[pianotech] Yamaha Hammer Suggestion

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sat Feb 6 05:01:01 MST 2010

Paul,
I must say that the ones I did were 4 years ago.  I usually used the
Spurlock hammer jig for narrowing the hammers and taking of weight. I
use a gram scale, pre-weigh them (I use a chart) pass them through
the jig, re-weigh until I have a nice line for the weight I'm looking
for. The ones I got from Steinway were the same hammers I get from
them right out of the box put on any shank you want. Once the hammers
were on the shanks I had no control and they were too heavy and
bulky. Sometimes the boring angle was a little off on a few which
made the line look not so professional to me. I could take the
hammers and "shape" them but that extra control wasn't there for me.
The piano was OK but I expected more out of it. I might be getting
too picky. They might be much better now. It might be worth a try
again.

Randy Ellen Chastain

--

Regards,