[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 16, Issue 52

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 4 21:11:51 MST 2010

Well, there's two ways to define piano types - layman's and technical.
Layman's definition is based on piano case height. Technical
definition is based on design.

Layman's: Spinet - below about 38"; Console - 39" to maybe 43"; Studio
Upright - 44" to 47"; Full Size Upright 48" and taller (look in Larry
Fine's book for the best definition - I'm just pulling this out of
my...... whatever).

 From the technical perspective, if the bottom of the wippens is set
below the keys, it is a spinet. This piano is a spinet.

Console has the miniature action parts, but wippen bottoms sit on the
capstan on the key. Studio upright has the full-size action with the
wippens sitting directly on the key capstans (with no extension). Full
size uprights have either capstan extensions or stickers to link the
capstans to the wippen bottom.

Terry Farrell