[pianotech] Re; Wurlitzer Key upstop rail removal

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 3 11:29:51 MST 2010

David,
NO! The piano I'm talking about has sides that swing outward! It's like a
"Transformer" thingee. Goofiest POS I've ever seen! The date given
coincides with this abomination. First one I encountered, I pulled the kick
panel and set it aside. Spent a couple of hours figuring it out and getting
it apart. Then, when I put it back together, the last thing I put back was
the kick panel. It fell down on it's face and there, Lo and Behold, was the
directions of how the damned thing came apart!! Grrrr! (Blush!)
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I

pianotech at ptg.org <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Date: 2/3/10 9:44:30 AM
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Re; Wurlitzer Key upstop rail removal
>
> I have never seen this, but if this actually true, then you do need to
pull up in the middle.  I'd retro-fit when you get it out.   Shorten ends
and use screws...if possible

> David Ilvedson
> Pacifica, CA
>
> On Feb 3, 2010, at 9:27 AM, "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Clay said: "Thank you for your response. The Wurlitzer I'm working on is
not the standard type.
> It's keystop rail doesn't unscrew - instead, both ends fit into rabbited
slots which are cut into the case itself. There is sidewards play but not
enough to free the other end of the rail. Can't find a deeper cut-out slot
to move it further sideways to release the other end.

> Thanks again for your efforts."
>
> Clay,
> It would really help if you would provide some pictures of what you are
dealing with. I have a suspicion that you are dealing with one of those
"folding case" pianos. A way to tell if it is, is take the kick panel off
and look on the back side of it. If there are instructions as to how to
take the action out and how the case "opens up", then you are dealing with
a classic Wurlie Chinese Puzzle box!