[pianotech] Re; Wurlitzer Key upstop rail removal

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 3 10:27:29 MST 2010

Clay said: "Thank you for your response. The Wurlitzer I'm working on is not the standard type.
It's keystop rail doesn't unscrew - instead, both ends fit into rabbited slots which are cut into the case itself. There is sidewards play but not enough to free the other end of the rail. Can't find a deeper cut-out slot to move it further sideways to release the other end.

Thanks again for your efforts."

Clay,
It would really help if you would provide some pictures of what you are dealing with. I have a suspicion that you are dealing with one of those "folding case" pianos. A way to tell if it is, is take the kick panel off and look on the back side of it. If there are instructions as to how to take the action out and how the case "opens up", then you are dealing with a classic Wurlie Chinese Puzzle box!
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police