[pianotech] a nice surprise

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Feb 2 17:57:25 MST 2010

Once in a while I run across a piano that surprises me. This morning I tuned a piano in a chapel that used to be a home. (You know the kind). In the "sanctuary", formerly the living room, stood an old 65" high upright piano, painted a speckled white. "Damn" I thought, "I was not in the mood to tackle a piece of %&* today."

I opened up the top, and discovered that all the hammers were in place, and there was hardly any rust on the pins and strings. All the keys played, no lost motion, even touch, and the piano was at pitch. The bass sounded full. All original parts, even the bridle straps.The only thing that had been replaced were about 2 dozen ivory fronts, but the replacements were real ivory.

This was a Brinkerhof. I had seen a few of these back in St. Louis. The serial number dated the piano to 1912.

All in all, for it's age, a very nice piano. I don't see too many of them around here.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
94-505 Kealakaa Str.
Mililani, Oahu, HI  96789