[pianotech] hide glue mixtures

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 2 16:31:13 MST 2010

Ron N. Said: "Mix consistency (water added) determined by trying it and
adjusting as necessary."

I agree! However, in order to get consistant mixes, I strongly suggest using Distilled Water rather than tap water. (Also, "purified water" is NOT Distilled Water.<G>) The "chemicals" in tap water are prone to screw things up, IMHO. I use a special water bottle and a spray bottle. The "water bottle" is for initial mixing and for topping off at the end of the day. The spay bottle is for "spritzing" while you are using the glue, to keep it a constant thickness. Most quality glues can be kept/used for a period of 3-5 days. (A good reason to mix small batches.) I set my little glue pots up with a tapered hammer shank for stirring and applying glue to holes. Also, I have a Water Color Brush, that has been sawed short w/an opened screw eye/collet to hang the brush. This is a consistant way to apply glue. Also, you need a baker's thermometer, (harbor frieght has them), so you can keep track of the temp. A range of 130 degrees to 150 degrees, is best for most applications. If you are veneering or doing big surfaces, heat the surfaces so the glue will stay tacky longer. Unless you are doing veneering of the piano side/top size areas, there is absolutely no need for Urea. Urea will, somewhat, weaken the glue. However, not enough for failures, but why chance it.<G>
I have several quality glues on hand. Each, works better than others, depending on the job, as Ron says.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police