[pianotech] Piano dolly question

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Mon Feb 1 23:21:33 MST 2010

> From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos at comcast.net>
> Date: February 1, 2010 10:33:27 PM EST
>
> Any ideas as to what to do with this type of piano in order to get it on a tripod dolly (institutional setting).

I say:  tell them not to move the dang thing!  That type of leg structure is notoriously unreliable;  some precocious fourth grader could probably break one of those legs pretty easily.  Also, if they can't afford a better piano than the one pictured, they will probably have a hard time with the cost of a piano dolly with some custom modifications.  I'm not trying to be judgmental,  just realistic.

If they insist, and if you use a regular grand dolly with wider custom platforms at each tip of the "Y," as some have suggested, I would strongly encourage you to also reinforce the leg/piano interface.

I only service one of this type of piano that has survived intact on a dolly.  It belonged to a school prior to my customer's acquisition of it.  The school janitors had found and installed some huge steel "L" brackets that extended close to a foot down the inner side of each of the six legs.  Not so pretty, but neither is a squashed church member, student, or senior citizen.  You can always paint 'em brown (the brackets, not the church member, student, or senior citizen!).

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh