[pianotech] After tuning, piano is louder? (was: Dampers in the high treble/more volume, was middle pedal)

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Tue Dec 28 15:14:23 MST 2010

On Dec 28, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Ken & Pat Gerler wrote:

> …   Another comment I have had is that after tuning the piano is "louder".  I explain that before tuning, all of the strings are playing at different frequencies, so do not re-enforce the primary frequency of the primary note. With all unisons resounding to the same frequency, they sound louder, just like in the orchestra when you have more violins/violas playing the same notes. …

List

I found these comments of Ken's quite interesting.

The reason I found them to be interesting is that I find the opposite to be more to the truth according to my sense of hearing.

Some basic definitions follow:

discordant - harsh and jarring because of a lack of harmony
harmony - the combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce chords and chord progressions having a pleasing effect
louder - producing or capable of producing much noise; easily audible

It appears Ken's comments do not equate to the parameters of these definitions, but perhaps semantics is only at issue here.

I also cannot see the analogy of the violins/violas as a valid example to the subject in question, yet that is most likely another subject altogether.

Anyhow, generally speaking, I find a piano to be less louder after bringing into focus the tuning at hand.

I would be very interested to learn from others on the list what they perceive happens.

Sincerely,

Keith McGavern, RPT