[pianotech] Bridge Cracks

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Sat Dec 18 16:20:37 MST 2010

Yesterday I tuned a 12-yr-old S&S B for someone who has been my customer for
2 years, during which time I have tuned the piano 6 times.  I inherited this
customer from another tech who kept a good service record in the piano, and
I could see the piano had been tuned almost every 2-3 months, which
surprised me.  Customer is a professional classical pianist who plays with
full tone, firm & heavier-handed than some but certainly not a banger.  From
my first tuning, I worked with customer to diagnose poor tuning instability
and on climate control, and recommended a full Life Saver System after 6 mos
(declined due to expense).

Yesterday I was frustrated because most unisons were quite bad since I last
tuned 6 months ago, and this is not typical for me.  I decided to have a
good look at the bridge, which usually remains under the string cover.  I
was dismayed to find the treble bridge had small cracks on virtually all
front pins, and on many there appeared to be a small gap on the string side
of the pin.  No wonder there were false beats throughout making unison
tuning difficult, and poor stability.

Questions:  (1) How common is this condition on this age and type of piano?
I was very surprised.  In spite of DC's very humid summers and dry (25%
R.H.) winters, I don't usually see this level of damage in only a decade --
or even 2 or 3 decades.  After all, this isn't an 80-yr-old upright.  (2)
What are the alternative remedies?  I presume (not a rebuilder) replacing or
recapping the bridge is most desirable, but would CA treatment be
appropriate to this instrument as an interim measure?  How likely is that to
yield significant improvements?

Paul Milesi, RPT
Washington, DC
(202) 667-3136