[pianotech] screwing around - literally

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Dec 14 20:31:46 MST 2010

On 12/14/2010 6:47 PM, SooperTooner at aol.com wrote:
> Exactly. I am quite aware that new screws are available but I prefer to
> reuse the old ones for a flawless fit.

A "flawless" fit where, and why? New screws in a new pinblock are a
pretty fair fit, and half the head doesn't break off when you drive
them. Or do you mean the flawless fit of the perimeter lags in the
hugely ovaled out plate holes?

>And I'm not overlooking the fact
> that at $8 per, the "O" that I'm presently working on could end-up
> costing a lot of money just for screws.

That's the price of new perimeter lags, not screws. Those are a mere $42
a dozen from Steinway.

> Funny thing - screws don't seem to wear out.

Nothing that's only installed once in it's life and likely never moves
again does. My house is built of Haydite blocks, and they don't seem to
be wearing out either after sixty years. Plates typically seem to last a
long time too. I've seen broken ones, but never a worn out one.
Ron N