[pianotech] screwing around - literally

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 12:28:11 MST 2010

Donn, (with two n's<G>), said:
 "How does one go about rehab-ing screw heads? In particular:
1 - Removing burrs and polishing the face to leave a flat surface
2. Cleaning or re-cutting the slot. In fact, what kind of tool is used to
cut the slot in the first place?
3. Has anyone experimenting with using DIY chrome plating kits?
Thanks for the help.

Donn,
Removing burrs, etc., can be done with a fine file. The original "slot" was cut with a Slot Cutter, which is the reason why the bottom of the "slot" is curved and tends to promote screwdrivers failure to function properly.<G> I like to clean out the "slots" with a hacksaw. This accomplishes two things: 1. Slightly deepens the slot. 2. flattens the bottom of the slot. As far as polishing the screws, I use  buffing wheels with appropriate buffing compounds. Then, I clean them, thoroughly with lacquer thinner. Then, I get out my trusty Gun Bluing Kit, follow the directions and BLUE them puppies! If you want to plate them, it's cheaper to just buy new ones, already plated!<G> (if you can find them.) Since APSCO bit the dust, the screw situation is difficult, IMHO.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I