[pianotech] Hammer Softener

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 20:37:11 MST 2010

> I'm wondering about the concept of steam voicing on lacquered hammers.
> Will that even work well since we're dealing with actual hard
> substances in the hammer--as opposed to hard felt? For instance, the
> treble hammers are crusty hard. Rubbing a fingernail along the sides
> of the hammers reveals this.
>
> I do carry the stuff for steam voicing, so I might give that a try if
> the other methods don't give good results.

I have had success with steam on lacquered hammers. For me the trick is
to control the steam and actually get it where I want it.  For me this
means getting the steam on the top, or cut sides, or at a concentrated
point, or over a more generalized area... ie, wherever I want it.   I
came up with this wand setup. It gets the steam where I want it, still
hot (rather than as tepid mist) , and gets it there without spitting (a
steam jet's achilles heel).

It creates  some back pressure as well to force the steam in deeper if
that's called for.

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio