[pianotech] Regulation sequence advice sought

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Aug 31 06:50:03 MDT 2010

  On 8/31/2010 6:56 AM, Michael Staples wrote:
> Thanks Ron,
> That's another piece of the puzzle I need to understand.  Speaking of
> understanding, I was pretty easily convinced off line that I should be
> studying towards an integrated understanding of grand action
> relationships instead of memorizing steps to accomplish regulation.

Ideally, yes, though a lot of folks are resistant to the concept. The
comforting thing about a checklist is that when you get to the end,
you're done. The problem comes when it doesn't work and you have the
responsibility to make it function.

> In the practice I have already done, I've experienced that if things
> start to go wrong during regulation, my only tool to fix things is to
> start the sequence all over.  So, help me out here, what source or
> study method can I use to gain this understanding?

I only know one way. Attend seminars and convention classes, work on
real world actions in real pianos. Observe and think. Do regulation
steps out of sequence, from the middle out, or backward, and observe
what affects what. Like everything in this business, it takes a lot of
time and effort to learn how much we don't know.
Ron N