[pianotech] YC Capo Bars

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 22:22:57 MDT 2010

John,

That looks like the Zinc alloy inserts that were used for a short time in
about 1994 or so.  They not only were too soft, they made the piano very
hard to tune! Very sticky material with steel wire pressing against it.

They later changed them to brass, which tuned a lot smoother but tended to
make the tone more zingy, and create more duplex noise because the angle
through the capo area was fairly shallow.

I agree with your solution to use brass rod, but you might want to increase
the counter-bearing angle a little while you're at it.

Don Mannino