[pianotech] CA'ing pinblocks in the summer

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 11:52:45 MDT 2010

I just came across an older P22 that had low torque on the pins. Being
summer here, they seemed to tune OK, but it was obvious that some of the
notes in the bass had slipped. This most likely happened in the winter when
things get looser.

I bid this job higher to accommodate it coming onto the shop, where I could
put a heat lamp over the pinblock for a couple of days to really dry things
out. It would also mean no nasty fumes in my client's house. Also the piano
needs a set of spring loops and key bushings so I'd already need the action
in the shop.

I'm curious if others have used a heat lamp prior to the CA treatment?

Ryan

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter