[pianotech] CA'ing pinblocks in the summer

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 24 06:57:48 MDT 2010

  Hi Paul,

Humidity definitely affects how the CA juicing will work out.  High
humidity swells the block and bushings, allowing less penetration of the
CA.  On top of that, the humidity will cure the CA more quickly.
Conversely, in low humidity the bushings and block shrink away from the
pins, admitting more CA, and the CA will cure more slowly, giving it
more time to penetrate.  When I first started using CA on pinblocks, I
scheduled the work for the summer, so that we could have windows open
for ventilation.  I had a rash of failures that required re-application
in the winter when things dried out and loosened up.  Now I only do it
in the winter when the humidity is lowest, and haven't any failures.
Bushed pins are much more critical - it's harder to get the CA past the
bushing and into the pinblock, so for sure you want to do those in the
winter.

Mike Spalding
Fredonia, Wisconsin