[pianotech] Spinet Hammer Butt Springs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Aug 22 21:33:39 MDT 2010

Matthew Todd wrote:
> In the July, 2009 journal, there is a procedure for replacing upright
> hammer butt springs.  In the article it explains slipping a steel rod
> through the coil of each spring.
>
> I will be replacing a set of springs on a spinet soon.  I went to Home
> Depot and the smallest diameter steel wire was still too big to push
> through the coil of my sample spinet spring I had with me.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

I've done maybe a half dozen of these through the years, all
without the rod. It's just not that difficult to line the
springs up, even if you have to spend a couple of minutes
straightening them up after installation. Finding the
committee approved alignment rod before the fact isn't all
that much of a deal breaker.
Ron N