[pianotech] Spinet Hammer Butt Springs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 22 21:02:02 MDT 2010

Matthew asked:"In the July, 2009 journal, there is a procedure for replacing upright hammer butt springs.? In the article it explains slipping a steel rod through the coil of each spring.
?
I will be replacing a set of springs on a spinet soon.? I went to Home Depot and the smallest diameter steel wire was still too big to push through the coil of my sample spinet spring I had with me.
?
Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!"

Matthew,
Don't ya just love it when an article leaves out an important bit of info?<G>
You need to look in the Welding Rod section. Get welding rod W/O flux. You need two, approx. 28"-30" long. Diameter of .086" Also, two pieces of 3/8"wood dowel, 1" long or so. Drill holes in the wood dowels and insert the rod w/some epoxy. Sharpen the other end of the wire to dull points, (rounded). Each rod will cover 1/2 of the strip of springs. Feed the rod through the spring coil before you pull the wire tight in the rail and bend it over. This whole process is easier if you clamp the rail on the work bench front lip, clamping where there will be no spring. Nip the ends with center pin nippers and coat the backside of the rail with hide glue and affix a strip of spring rail felt. done. Oh, while you're at it, it would be better/easier if you modify the rail to be attached to the bracket with 1/4-20 bolts, 1" long.<G>
Regards,
JOE

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police