[pianotech] repeat business

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 20:07:27 MDT 2010

Nice to hear your voice Susan (I mean your writer's voice, although since
I've met you a few times, my brain makes me imagine that I'm hearing you as
I read your posts!)

You make a good point about knowing your customers. I try to make a routine
habit of letting my clients know that we are happy to do a reminder call at
whatever interval they wish. We offer it as a complimentary service. That
way we don't feel like nagging. I just make a note on the invoice, and Jean
checks in with them when the time arrives. We are VERY low pressure. When
people ask how often they should tune their piano I tell them: It depends on
a number of factors: The age of the piano, the design of the piano, how hard
and often it is played, the stability of the environment, the sensitivity of
the player, and the piano budget. I tell them that the manufacture's without
exception recommend at least twice a year tuning. This is to cover
themselves so that if an owner tunes their piano in July and notices it
sounds wacky in December that this is normal - it doesn't mean there's a
problem with the piano. In the end I tell them they should tune whenever
they like: Probably somewhere between once every two weeks and once every 10
years.

So my advice to others is to simply ask your client if they would like a
reminder call. In my experience a lot more than half want a call. We tell
them there is NO pressure to schedule, that we're just checking in.

Also along this vein, don't hesitate to ask your clients to refer you to
others. "We are a word of mouth business so if your happy with my work
please pass our name along." Likewise, "If you.re happy with the service you
have received, please let so-and-so who refered you know about it. If you
have the time we'd really appreciate it. Many times people are more than
happy to do so.

Ryan Sowers

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT