[pianotech] toy piano tone bar help

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 14 17:15:59 MDT 2010

  After some pleading I took on the restoration of an old toy piano for
a long time customer, it was her grand mothers and she wants her grand
child to play it. The tough problem is that it has 7 notes missing.
These are round rods, tapered and flattened at one end and driven into a
bar that bolts to the case. I can easily make something that looks
exactly like whats there but it won't ring like the old ones. Does
anyone have any suggestions about steel, hardness, termination, anything
that I might be missing? Feel free to write back off list as this is not
really piano related...

--Dave

    New Orleans