[pianotech] shades of gray

kurt baxter fortefile at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 10:05:39 MDT 2010

Picking up an issue I have laying around (Augest 2010), It appears to me
that the only non ad copy text to be in shades of gray is the titles and
subtitles, in the large font. All of the text itself appears to be black.

However, I do agree that much of the ad text is more readable, but will
venture to guess it has nothing do with color and everything to do with font
type, size and weight. Compared to the advertising, the main body text is in
a rather thin and small serif font (Times Roman-esque). This may read as
"grayish" compared to a heaver typeface. Although the size/weight may indeed
be at the cost of readability for some people, it likely does allow many
more words to be fit on the page.

Unless there is a more readable font at the same size, the only solution I
see is less content, more pages, or transferring the electronic version of
the journal to some e-reader device that allows for text embiggening.

I would love to hear from someone working at the journal on this issue, as I
am no typographical expert.

[k]