[pianotech] Whistlin' Wixey

William Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Thu Aug 12 04:28:28 MDT 2010

Hi Ron:

Yes, I have seen your photo, and had actually copied and pasted it along
with others into  a Wixey Word document.  I believe you simply turn your
gauge on its side where the shorter spacing between the feet is, zero it and
take your reading.  I made mine more like Jim's because that's what I had
laying around the shop.

I would rather ask a stupid question than not ask the question that I should
be asking because I do not understand something.  Do the comparative
deviations you describe correspond directly to the the values of .5 degree
to 1.5 degrees so often given as the values we want to achieve in a strung
piano?  My goal here is to get to apples to apples.

I understand that the loading of the board is the combination of both front
and rear bearing loads.  Still, Frank Emerson earlier gave an example on
Baldwins with a significant mismatch between front and rear bearing where it
would be important to know.  For me, it is useful at this early juncture in
my bellyman career (I've only done 2 boards) to help me understand where my
feet are, and giving me the comfort that I have not built into the mix a
serious mismatch between front and rear.  I'll take your point that we
should not make it any more complicated than it needs to be otherwise.

Thanks,

Will