[pianotech] pinblock drilling clamp

Shawn Hansen kayceemusic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 18:39:07 MDT 2010

When double drilling, I am most worried about getting the pinblock in the
EXACT same place as the initial drilling.  Most of the suggestions I have
seen for initial to final drill sizes can be as little as .010" difference.
 It is hard for me to feel comfortable thinking that the 230 or so times I
drill this block the second time, I will be within 1 blue paper punching
every single time.  I just think I have increased my chances of being
inconsistent.

Instead I have returned to the single drilling way I was taught by David
Betts:
consistency and accuracy I can control is done with the same drill speed,
AND the same drill feed into the block, every single time I drill. (and a
fast spiral drill bit gets the chips out and lets me feed at the speed I
have tested for.)

Once I get the drill bit speed and the feed speed set, I rarely have
problems with the block riding up on the bit.  On the other hand, I like the
gate and clamp that you have made there a lot and I am curious to hear how
it works out for you!

good luck with the double drilling.

Shawn

--