[pianotech] Nordiska Fallboard Closing Insert

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:59:06 MDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Mark Purney <mark.purney at mesapiano.com>wrote:

> I've got a Nordiska DG with a broken "disk-type"  fallboard closing
> mechanism on the bass side (see link for photo).
> http://www.mesapiano.com/fbdevice.jpg
>
> If anyone has a suggestion for getting a replacement for this
> poorly-designed part, you'd be my hero.
>
> The protruding plastic part broke off where the screw hole is drilled.

I'm not sure I'm seeing things clearly, as the photo resolution isn't that
high. Is the plastic part the only thing that supports the weight? It
certainly looks weak. And I'm not familiar with the Nordiska.

But ... could you maybe drill into the arm (behind where the plastic nub
is), then epoxy a chunk of brass rod there?

Or epoxy some sort of insert into which a threaded piece of brass rod could
be screwed. Or buy/make (from a brass rod the same diameter as the plastic
nub) a threaded portion on one end and the support on the other. You could
cut a slot in the support end to allow you to screw it into the arm.

The circular brass plate could be screwed back on to maintain the original
look. And I suppose do it to the other side while you're at it. :-)

--
JF