[pianotech] rcs design considerations

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Aug 5 09:49:55 MDT 2010

David Love wrote:
>  Ron mentioned beefing up the rim which in effect then changes the rim
> mass in order to be able to use what would be the same basic design.

Both mass and stiffness. This is most critical in the top half
of the scale, where the higher frequencies produced need a
high impedance boundary. By the time you've added a big cutoff
bar, a fish, and belly rail bracing and mass, you've
essentially replaced the top half of the soundboard perimeter
with high impedance material and can design accordingly
without needing new sets of rules.

> That’s another approach.  I think the question though is given a soft
> wood rim without altering the mass what changes must be made to
> accommodate the difference.

Mass wasn't mentioned in the original question, but building
with a lower density softer material will also decrease mass.

Ron N